Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Patriarchy

Shall still be smashed, my dears.

But first:

And then, I remember:

"Mourn the losses, because they are many. But celebrate the victories, because they are few."

I watched last night's General Election returns with the same cautiously-optimistic outlook that gradually turned to a similar despair I felt in 2000 and 2004, when the US elected George W. Bush. In 2004, I remember watching in horror as, to add to the pain, 11 out of 11 states passed state amendments banning same-sex marriage. In 2008, we made history electing President Obama, but California passed the anti-gay Proposition 8.

Then, seven years later, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide. That took work, advocacy, difficult conversations, lawsuits, organizing. These are the ups and downs inherent in the nature of our political system. And when we're on a downswing, it's downright horrific.

I am at a loss to find a silver lining and I won't insult you to even try. All I can offer is that I've (we've) felt this despair before. We've also come out on the other side, somehow.

My deepest gratitude to Hillary Rodham Clinton. She has endured so much, for us. And, it all breaks my heart.

Today, we mourn.

Tomorrow, next week, next year. We fight.

Please take care of yourselves.

No comments: