Monday, March 24, 2014

For Vernita Gray

Vernita Gray, part of the first same-sex couple legally married in Illinois, passed away last week, as first reported by The Windy City Times. 

I only knew her peripherally, but I was always glad Vernita was on our side.

The article I link to gives an account of her years of activism and I hope you will take the time to read it, in honor of one who's bloody feet have helped smooth many of our own paths, today and for the future.

It feels scary to me, when we lose prominent and charismatic activists.  Do we lose parts of ourselves, when those who fight for us are gone? How and will we be okay and pick up the slack?

I don't have any magical words to say, and I think it's okay to be sad. Many people, myself included, are just incredibly grateful for her activism.  She was, and is, greatly loved.  We carry on.

No comments: