Friday, June 10, 2011

Quote of the Day

I didn't know her personally, but gawd I miss Molly Ivins.

She died in January 2007 and, still, every now and then I find myself wondering what Molly would think.

Sarah Palin. Married famous dudes prone to texting photos of their genitals. Snooky and The Situation. The relentless attacks on reproductive rights and Planned Parenthood. Slutwalks. Boobquakes. Vajazzling.

I want to know.

Her classic takedown of Camille Paglia is one of my favorite pieces of hers, but as far as shorter quotes goes, I've always remembered this:

"It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America."

I think, in general, that people of privilege who don't like that [Insert Minority Group] Studies classes exist don't understand that this struggle is a real thing that really happens.

If you're a fan, what are some of your favorite Ivins' quotes/pieces?

No comments: