Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday Fun: I'd Be a "Failure" as a 1930s Wife

But on the upside, I would make an "average" 1930s husband. I think much of my failure as a wife has to do with the fact that I don't wear a nightgown, that I walk around the house in stockings, and that don't ask my husband's opinion before making important decisions (or even have a husband for that matter!).


7

As a 1930s wife, I am
Very Poor (Failure)

Take the test!



50

As a 1930s husband, I am
Average

Take the test!




Okay, so as I was going through this, my mind kept going back to how contrived these "acceptable" behaviors for husbands and wives are. Yet, these ridiculous and exaggerated ideas regarding sex-appropriate behavior are built upon the theory that all men and women are inherently very different from each other. That's why they their roles in marriage are so different! This same assumption, of course, is one argument against same-sex marriage and parenting. You know it, it's the "marriage demands a man and a woman" (circular) argument.

After all, it is "necessary" for a man to fill the "husband" slot because men are super-duper different than women. And, it is "necessary" for a woman to play the "wife" because women are very different from men. This little quiz, while entertaining, can also serve the important purpose of teaching us all how men and women are different and, therefore, how marriage is only for a man and a woman.

So... I guess my burning question is this: Since I way more resemble a 1930s husband than a 1930s wife, technically, wouldn't it be more proper for me to marry a woman than a man? I mean, if I were to marry a man that would give us two "husbands" in the marital relationship, and we shan't have that shall we?

No comments: